Friday, January 23, 2015

WWE, Don't Forget the Ladies

WWE Divas
WWE Divas
Photo Credit: Flickr Creative Commons License by DuckPuppy
In the past year, or so, I've become an avid fan of the WWE.  It kind of snuck up on me, but I started watching with my son, and now I'm hooked.

After several months of this, I've caught on to a trend.  The ladies, or divas, don't get much time on air.  In a 90-minute episode of RAW, there might be a single divas match that lasts less than 10-minutes.

Now, I get it.  The muscle bound guys, such as John Cena, Randy Orton and Big Show are the ones that sell tickets, but why not give the ladies a little more presence.

One of the things I've come to love about WWE, is the story lines, that move from week to week.  I tune in to watch RAW and Smackdown, to make sure I know what's going on more than anything.  The actual wrestling, is just a sideshow to the dramatics.  It's all about the speeches, the taunting, the challenges and what-not.

For example, I was riveted to my seat this past week, watching to see if John Cena could beat the authority's big dogs in a 3-on-1 match, just to get the jobs of Dolph Ziggler, Ryback and Erick Rowen back.  I thought it was great entertainment, and I'm excited to see this upcoming Smackdown to see if the three of them show up, as a result of Cena's stunning victory, aided by the vigilante Sting.

Eye Candy
Eye Candy
Photo Credit: Flickr Creative Commons License by Megan Elice Meadows
However, anytime the ladies hit the ring, I'm thinking, what does this even matter?  I guess what I'm really trying to say is, the ladies have absolutely zero relevance to the story lines each week.  There are no rivalries, no story threads, no back and forths, and really no reason to even take notice of what they're doing.

I am not in the least interested to see what the Bella twins are up to each week, or any of the other ladies.  The only reason, I believe they cart them out is for the eye candy.

Now, I don't want to come off sounding like I don't like eye-candy, because I most certainly do, but why not give them a little more substance than just skimpy outfits, and nice hair.  How about a continuous story line with good gals versus bad gals?  How about some semi-realistic drama that can get the wrestling fans attention each week?

One thing that might work, is mixing up the boys and girls.  I mean, it's not an eighth grade dance.  They're allowed to mingle.  I liked the story about Naomi with the Miz and the Usos.  I liked all the stories with AJ Lee, and most of the male roster.  Why not a little more of that?

WWE Diva, Paige
WWE Diva, Paige
Photo Credit: Flickr Creative Commons License by Anton
What about a tawdry affair between Paige and Dean Ambrose, the lunatic fringe?  Now there's a couple that goes together like mace and handcuffs.

Maybe the two of them start destroying, and manipulating their way through the WWE's finest, all the way to the first ever championship couple.  He the heavyweight champ, and she the divas champ.  What would that look like?

I even have a thought on how it could all get started.  How about Charlotte Flair, daughter of the legendary Ric Flair, get's a title shot against Nikki Bella.  Before the match, her father gives her a good luck charm he took into all his big matches.

Charlotte leaves the good luck charm in the corner of the ring, as the match starts with Nikki.  Charlotte looks good, and even looks like she will probably win, until Paige appears out of the crowd to snatch the good luck charm from Charlotte's corner.

Charlotte notices this--she gets distracted, and screams at Paige to bring it back.  But before she can go after here, Nikki Bella capitalizes on the distraction, to pin Charlotte, and retain her divas championship belt.

It doesn't end there.  The camera follows Paige into the back of the arena, where she stumbles upon Ambrose.  She flirts with him for a few moments, and gives him the charm, as a gift.  Ambrose thinks its cool, and pockets the charm, as Paige darts off, with Charlotte hot on her tail.

Paige, as WWE Divas Champion
Paige, as WWE Divas Champion
Photo Credit: Flickr Creative Commons License by Megan Elice Meadows
Charlotte chases Paige into the parking lot, and it becomes a street brawl.  This is just the beginning of the feud, which fuels a rivalry between Paige and Charlotte for months, where they each sabotage each other's matches.  But Charlotte's not as good at the bad stuff as Paige, and when Paige gets  her shot at the title with Nikki Bella, Charlotte's interference is all Paige needs to retake the divas championship.

Huh?!? Huh?!? You know you like it, right?  I mean come on!  What's that?  How's Ambrose become the champ?  Well, I can't think of everything, can I.

And if that doesn't work, do you know what the ladies need?  Someone like...
MY NAME IS...PAUL HEYMAN!
Photo Credit: Flickr Creative Commons License by Megan Elice Meadows

No comments :

Post a Comment